Each day, an average American family of four uses up to 260 gallons of water. Also, electricity, paper, and plastic are continually wasted all over the country. Unfortunately, these trends are damaging our natural environment.
At ICO Ridge’s Lehi Apartments, we are committed to promoting an environmentally friendly lifestyle and doing our part to protect the planet. Here are a few suggestions of what you can do to go green at our apartments in Lehi.
Reduce Your Use of Water
Did you know that 3.6 billion people reside in areas where water is considered a scarce resource? Utah is one of the many places around the nation that experience hot, dry summers. We encourage residents at our apartments in Lehi to be conscientious of water use. Here are a few ways you can reduce your use of water:
- Keep an eye out for leaks. A faucet that leaks just one drop of water per second adds up to 165 gallons per month! Be aware of any drips and report them to maintenance. We’re happy to fix them as quickly as possible.
- Don’t dilly-dally in the shower. The average American uses 37 gallons of water each time they shower. Do your best to shower quickly and efficiently so you can avoid using more water than necessary.
- Don’t flush unnecessarily. Every time you flush a toilet, it uses about 3.5 gallons of water. Don’t flush garbage down the toilet. Instead, use it only for its intended purpose.
- Turn off the water. Whether you are brushing your teeth or washing dishes, don’t leave the faucet running. Take a few extra seconds to turn it off and then back on when you need it.
- Wash with full loads. When you do decide to use the dishwasher or washing machine, make sure you do so only with full loads. This will reduce the number of times you have to run the machines, saving time, water, and money.
By making these small changes, you can make a big difference in the amount of water you use each day.
Cut Down on Energy Use
With a few additional guidelines, you can save not only on water but also on energy usage. Here are some helpful tips to cut down on energy use at our apartments in Lehi:
- Turn off the lights. This one is simple. When you leave a room, try to make it a habit to turn off the lights on your way out. Also, maximize natural lighting during the day.
- Unplug what you can. If you have any electronics, lamps, chargers, or appliances that aren’t being used, unplug them! This will significantly reduce the amount of electricity used in your apartment.
- Wash laundry in cold water. Consider washing your clothes in cold water. This will reduce the energy used to heat the water and keep your clothes from shrinking!
Cutting back on the energy used in your apartment will not only save money but also reduce your ecological footprint, contributing to a cleaner, greener environment.
The most well-known way to live green is to recycle, and we encourage all residents to follow suit. You can recycle plastic bottles and containers, empty cans, paper, and flattened cardboard. However, you cannot recycle food, liquid, plastic bags, plastic wrap, or cups with wax or plastic coating. In Lehi, you can take your recycling to Waste Management.
We encourage all at ICO Ridge’s Lehi Apartments to implement these suggestions. By changing your daily habits to live sustainably, you can do your part to protect the environment and save our earth.